Monday, January 4, 2016

Top 5 Most Anticipated Films of 2016

Welcome back everyone! Today will be my final "Most Anticipated of 2016" list as now I will focus on non superhero movies. This list was a little tougher to put together because we really don't know a lot about some of the 2016 fall movies coming out and really only have trailers for the big summer block busters and the films that are hitting in early 2016. As usual, I base my anticipation level based on the director, cast, story of the film, and any trailers that have been release for the movie. As always, feel free to comment below and tell me which 2016 movies you are most excited for. And....Here...We...Go.



5) Assassin's Creed
    Release Date: December 21, 2016
    Director: Justin Kurzel
    Cast: Michael Fassbender, Marion Cotillard, Brendan Gleeson, Jeremy Irons, Michael Kenneth Williams, Ariane Labed

For those of you who do not know what Assassin's Creed is, or have never even heard of it before now, it is a movie that based upon a video game franchise called, yep you guessed it, Assassin's Creed. The story of the games and the movie is a certain individual, through revolutionary technology, is able to unlock the memory of his assassin relative and relive those moments. Simply put, he is able to go back through time as his ancestor. One of the main reasons I am excited for the film is because I am a fan of the video games and love the stories they are able to tell. My excitement was heightened when they broke the news that Michael Fassbender (Steve Jobs) really wanted to make the movie and was going to find a director who had as much passion about the movie as he did. He found a good one in Justin Kurzel (Macbeth). I have not had the fortune of seeing Macbeth yet, but everything I have heard about it is nothing but glowing praise. Kurzel, Fassbender, and Marion Cotillard were all involved with Macbeth so that gives me hope for Assassin's Creed. Plus, when you can add the talents of Brendan Gleeson and Jeremy Irons, it can be nothing but a good thing.



4) Finding Dory
    Release Date: June 17, 2016
    Director: Andrew Stanton
    Cast: Ellen DeGeneres. Albert Brooks, Idris Elba, Diane Keaton, Dominic West, Ty Burrell, Eugene Levy, Ed O'Neill
    Trailer: Finding Dory Teaser Trailer

Pixar takes us back into the deep blue sea as some of our favorite characters get their long overdue sequel. Pixar has really never let us down when it comes to movies. I can confidently say I love every single movie Pixar has put out. Yes, some might not be the strongest, but they are usually a fun time and I can always count on getting something out of the movie. I get hated on for this a lot, but even though I loved Finding Nemo, it is probably my least favorite Pixar film (Not counting Cars 2). Now that does not mean I hated it. It just means that there were others I would have rather seen get sequels first (Incredibles 2 cannot come fast enough). I know you probably hate me right about now for saying that, but stick with me. I am still excited as hell to see Finding Dory. The teaser trailer they dropped brought back all the feels and memories I had from watching Finding Nemo 13 years ago. Wow I feel old after typing that one. The original 3 cast are back along with some stellar additions like Idris Elba, Diane Keaton, and Ed O'Neill. While Finding Nemo may have not been on the level of Toy Story, it is a damn good movie and I cannot wait for this upcoming sequel.


3) The Jungle Book
     Release Date: April 15, 2016
     Director: Jon Favreau
     Cast: Scarlett Johansson, Emjay Sethi, Bill Murray, Idris Elba, Ben Kingsley. Lupita Nyong'o, Christopher Walken, Neel Sethi, 
     Trailer: The Jungle Book Trailer #1

The Jungle Book propelled itself up my list the moment I saw the first trailer. Wow, was it visually stunning! This movie is done in all motion capture using some sort of new technology and it shows. It really looked like I was watching a real tiger chase Mowgli to the edge of the cliff. The voice over by Scarlett Johansson as Kaa is beautifully done. As we all know, Johansson is no stranger to doing voice work, her voice work in the movie Her was almost nominated for an Oscar. She is not the only star in this movie though; Bill Murry, Idris Elba, Ben Kingsley, Lupita Nyong'o and Christopher Walken all seem to fit their characters perfectly. I really never got into the story of The Jungle Book as a kid, but damn that trailer had me hooked so much that I watched several times afterwards. Director Jon Favreau lends me a ton of faith in the Disney film as he has turned out several critical hits such as Iron Man, Chef, and Elf. I cannot wait for the next trailer for The Jungle Book and luckily do not have to wait much longer to see the film. This movie will be visually stunning and open the door for so many things down the road when it comes to CGI.



2) Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
    Release Date: November 18, 2016
    Director: David Yates
    Cast: Eddie Redmayne, Erza Miller, Colin Farrell, Jon Voight, Katherine Waterson, Ron Perlman, Samantha Morton
    Trailer: Fantastic Beasts Trailer #1

After a 5 year long hiatus, we are finally going back into the wizarding world of Harry Potter. After Deathly Hallows Part2 was released, I did not think I would ever see a Harry Potter film again. It was a pretty sad film because even though I had not read the books, they were movies I grew up on and it was always a family experience each year going to the theater. Now with David Yates directing, whom has directed four Harry Potter films, and J.K. Rowling writing the screenplay, we are back and it feels awesome. While some may be hesitant about Rowling making her screenplay debut on such a big movie, do not fear because she had plenty of say and input on how to write the screenplay for all 8 Potter films. So I am almost certain she knows how to write a good screenplay when it comes to wizards. Then we got that cast and it is thrilling to see. Oscar winner Eddie Redmayne is the lead role and is a lock to give a grade A performance. He is joined by young comer Erza Miller, who will have his own Flash movie, and some quality actors in Colin Farrell, Jon Voight, and Ron Perlman. We do not know much about the characters in the film, but man, did that trailer not have that Harry Potter feel to it? It was nice and refreshing being able to see people flicking their wands and casting spells again.


MY NUMBER 1 MOST ANTICIPATED FILM OF 2016 IS......



1) Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
    Release Date: December 16, 2016
    Director: Gareth Edwards
    Cast: Felicity Jones, Mads Mikkelsen, Alan Tudyk, Forest Whitaker, Jonathan Aris, Ben Mendelsohn, Donnie Yen

If you have no idea what Rogue One is about and how it relates to the Star Wars saga you are not alone. When I first heard the announcement of Rogue One I was left scratching my head wondering what in the hell it was about. I will gladly inform you that Rogue One tells the story of the rebel soldiers who were able to steal the plans to the Death Star. So essentially Rogue One takes place before A New Hope but after Revenge of the Sith. This film was not number 1 on my list until after I saw The Force Awakens. Yes, I know that goes against the criteria I base my list on but after seeing Star Wars multiple times, I cannot deny that I love being able to dive into the Star Wars universe. So anytime I am able to jump in, I will be extremely anticipated for it. Also the 2 main leads of Felecity Jones and Mads Mikkelsen are just too talented not to get excited for. Jones was nominated for an Oscar last year when she starred opposite Eddie Redmayne in The Theory of Everything. Mikkelsen always delivers a menacing villain and is just overall a fantastic acting talent. Director Gareth Edwards directed Godzilla (2014), and while there were issues with the film, I did enjoy it enough to have me thinking positively about him helming this project. If Rogue One wasn't a Star Wars film it probably wouldn't be number 1, but luckily for us, it is.




So there are my top 5 films I am looking forward to the most in 2016. Comment below and tell which ones are on your list! Remember to like and share so everyone can get in the conversation. Thank you!






No comments:

Post a Comment